Delta-8 THC is one of the fast-growing cannabinoids in the industry. You’ve probably seen posters or ads for Delta-8, but what is it exactly? Delta-8 THC is a psychoactive compound that is less intoxicating when compared to delta-9 THC. Delta-8 is in between delta-9 THC and CBD. There is some psychoactivity, is just as potent and offers benefits like relief from inflammation and depression. In this article, we will be discussing delta-8 THC, its benefits, and its risks as well as its psychoactive effects and legality.
What is Delta-8 THC?
Delta-8 tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is a chemical compound similar to delta-9 THC. It is found in small quantities in hemp and cannabis Sativa plants. It produces a euphoric feeling just like cannabis does, but is chemically different. Although delta-8 has some similarities to delta-9 THC, it has some slight differences in chemical structure which makes it less dominant.
What Are The Benefits of Delta-8 THC?
Delta-8 THC is a compound that gives a euphoric feeling, pain relief, and relaxation. If you are worried about the psychoactive effect, dosing with a smaller amount may be beneficial. Benefits of delta-8 THC include:
● Increased Appetite: Delta-8 THC is also effective in increasing appetite. The appetite stimulant in Delta-8 THC is even more potent than Delta-9 THC. This helps people with trouble regulating their appetites, as a dose can increase your appetite greatly.
● Psychoactive Experience: Delta-8 THC can cause intoxication, and certainly the euphoric high that many people get from consuming cannabis. If you don’t enjoy the intense high feeling, Delta-8 THC may be a better alternative. It is less potent compared to Delta-9 THC. The euphoric effect from Delta-8 THC is less rigid and still allows you to remain concentrated and relaxed.
● Neuroprotection: delta-8 THC has extraordinary neuroprotective properties. It regulates calcium and potassium channels and also hinders the release of adenylyl cyclase in the central nervous system. It is useful in treating a neurodegenerative disorder by increasing the levels of acetylcholine and choline. Delta-8 also improves cognitive functioning through the new neurons formed by this THC. Put another way, it improves the health of the brain.
● Improved Sleep: due to its smooth psychoactive experience, it leads to positive effects such as euphoria, sedation, and stress relief. Which helps people with sleeping disorders.
● Digestive Support: although Delta-8 THC has similar antiemetic properties to Delta-9 THC, anecdotal evidence points towards reduced incidences of paranoia or anxiety. Research has also shown that Delta-8 is effective for treating the side effects commonly associated with cancer therapies or treatments like nausea or vomiting.
● Relaxation: Studies have shown that delta-8 THC is effective to ease stress and help with relaxation. The CB1 receptors in the brain bound with Delta-8 THC play a major function in modulating the psychoactive effects of cannabis, which can help with relaxation.
● Pain Relief: Delta-8 THC is more preferred than other cannabinoids for the relief of pain. The external application of delta-8 THC can relieve chronic pain and inflammation. Delta-8 regulates hormones and neurons that are connected to pain transmission.
Potential Risk of Delta-8 THC
Although there isn’t enough evidence on the impact delta-8 has on the health of the human body. Because of the similarities between delta-9 and delta-8 THC, the side effects produced are also quite similar. Some of the potential effects can include:
● Increased heart rate (tachycardia)
● Dry mouth and red eyes
● Loss of memory
● Coordination problems (Confusion)
● Drowsiness and dizziness
● Reduced heart rate (bradycardia)
● Low blood pressure
● Para thesis
● Muscle tension
● Altered visual imagery
● Increased body awareness
However, delta-8 THC may also have more risks because it is produced synthetically, which means you don’t know its content.
Furthermore, delta-8 THC may also contain a small number of similar compounds such as delta-9 and delta-10 THC. But these compounds won’t produce adverse effects.
How To Minimize Possible Negative Effects Of Using Delta-8 THC
● Delta-8 THC is quite active at 5-10 mg, so you need to consume the right dose.
● Observe how well-tolerated you are to the product, you can take a break from it if needed.
● Before using delta-8 THC while taking other medications, it’s best to consult your doctor.
● Do not use delta-8 THC if you are under 21
● Do not purchase delta-8 products from a non-reputable vendor. Always buy from a vendor that publishes certificates of analysis for all its delta-8 products.
● Avoid products that haven’t been tested and fake delta-8 products
● When about to drive or operate heavy machines, do not consume delta-8 THC.
Is Delta-8 THC Legal?
Delta-8 THC’s growth in popularity is linked to its legality in most states. It is not heavily regulated like other products that contain Delta-9 THC. This is because it is extracted from hemp, which is legal across the United States.
The legality of hemp is sourced from the 2018 United State Farm Bill, which eliminates hemp and its derived products from the list of controlled substances covered under the Controlled Substances Act of 1970. The law states that any cannabis that contains THC of 0.3% and less, is classified as hemp and no longer a controlled substance.
Delta-8 THC wasn’t mentioned in the Farm bill, therefore manufacturers are able to produce Delta-8 THC products legally. As a result of this, Delta-8 THC has become a rapidly thriving product in the hemp industry.
Although, at the Federal level, no law regulates the use of Delta-8 THC. Some states have laws that strictly restrict the sales of all Delta-8 products. You can check here for your state’s regulations regarding laws on cannabis.
Is Delta-8 THC Safe?
Delta-8 THC is absolutely safe, but it must be used responsibly. Unlike other cannabinoids, delta-8 THC does not pose any immediate health issues. Before you begin frequent usage, make sure to give your body time to adjust to the consumption of THC. Pro-tip is to start with little doses and increase slowly over time. That way your body can get used to consuming Delta-8 and you can titrate as needed.
If you are considering purchasing delta-8 THC products, to avoid the risks of untested and fake delta-8 products, purchase from a reputable vendor. Be sure to check if there is a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) and that the product you are about to consume has been tested properly.
At Hyhr, we have experts that have carefully curated only the finest brands and products in the industry. All of our products undergo rigorous 3rd party testing, are clean, and effective at providing relief which means you’ll get the right product for your needs.